Allow me to introduce you to my latest favorite weeknight fix.
Or – perhaps I should introduce to my latest favorite ingredient: canned Italian tuna packed in olive oil. It’s the secret to this salad, and the secret to getting a complete, protein-packed meal on the table – no cooking involved.
I’m thinking about making this salad a weekly thing. It’s so delicious, and so easy to throw together with staple ingredients you can easily keep on hand – like white cannellini beans, tuna, and a hunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
I suppose you could use regular canned tuna, but the Italian tuna in the olive oil is so much more flavorful. I recommend splurging and stocking up on a few cans. This way, all you’ll need to remember to pick up from the store is the arugula and tomatoes and you’ll have a healthy, delicious meal ready any night of the week.
Arugula, Italian Tuna, and White Bean Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 – 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata or Niçoise olives
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 (6-ounce) cans Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained and broken into chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby arugula
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients (through arugula); toss. Top with cheese.