Spinach and strawberries are a classic combination when it comes to salads, but here – we’re taking that up a notch.
I almost skipped out on this week’s recipe for The Food Matters Project, and I’m so glad I didn’t. I’ve had a lot of craziness going on lately, between my trip to Louisville last week, catching up on work, and the ever-insane social calendar. I had a wedding last night, for instance – but I still
found made the time to put this salad together yesterday so that we’d have dinner ready for the next couple of nights … and so that I could share it with you, of course!
Who doesn’t love a good main dish salad this time of year? It’s easy, it’s quick, and best of all … it’s bikini season-friendly!
It can be easy to fall into a salad-f0r-dinner rut once you find one you like. I tend toward arugula and store-bought rotisserie chicken with my go-to mustard vinaigrette during those extra-crazy weeks when I can’t even fathom putting more than 2 minutes of thought into dinner. This salad is a little more creative – and yes, it takes a bit more prep – but it’s still super-quick and easy.
Here’s the deal: Bed of fresh spinach. Spicy pineapple-strawberry-basil salsa. Grilled shrimp, feta cheese. And citrus vinaigrette.
And the best part about it is that, like so many of Bittman’s fabulous ideas, it’s totally flexible. Is mango looking good at the market? Bring it on! Feeling blueberries instead of strawberries? Go for it. You can put together any combination you like, making your decision on what it is you’re craving … or even what’s on sale.
On that note, you can also adjust your herbs accordingly. I love basil with strawberries, and I’m now discovering I also love it with pineapple. You can go with cilantro for a grassier note, or throw in some mint to shake things up. You can also omit the feta if you’d like – or substitute something else, like goat cheese. The options are endless!
- 1 teaspoon each orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest
- Juice of 1 orange, 1 lemon, 2 limes
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces large or jumbo shrimp, peeled
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ a pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ a red onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- To make the citrus vinaigrette, combine zests, juices, ¼ cup olive oil, and honey in a small jar. Shake to combine and season to taste.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss shrimp with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, until opaque. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, pineapple, onion, serrano peppers, and basil. Season to taste.
- Place spinach in a large serving bowl or platter. Add fruit mixture, shrimp, feta, and citrus vinaigrette. Serve and enjoy!