One day, if I ever own my own company or have any say in the schedule of another life’s work, National Margarita Day will be an official holiday. Mark my words.
And I don’t know about you, but for me that means we’ll also have the following day off.
On second thought, I’m thinking we should make it National Margarita Week altogether. There are just too many delicious variations on this all-time favorite cocktail of tequila and citrus, and we need time to celebrate them all.
For now, we can start with this insanely perfect Meyer lemon version. I truly now believe that Meyer lemons were put on this Earth for the purpose of dirty dancing with tequila and orange liqueur. This cocktail would be entirely perfect on its own stopping right there, as the Meyer lemons already strike that perfect balance needed for margarita-making; if you’re unfamiliar with Meyer lemons, they are thought to be a cross between lemon and a mandarin or orange – and so that is what makes them perfect for a margarita…they provide that extra sweetness needed for balancing the tangy-ness of the lemon.
And so, yes – you could totally stop right there and be happy as a drunken clam. Or, you could add some rosemary to the mix and really get down with this party. This now makes for a dirty dancing-threesome that you won’t regret.
How many threesomes can you say that about?
- 1 cup Meyer lemon juice (from about 9 or 10 small Meyer lemons)
- 1 cup tequila blanco
- ½ cup Patron Orange or other orange liqueur
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, cut in half
- Combine lemon juice, tequila, and orange liqueur in a small pitcher, or a shaker if you’re feeling fancy. Stir or shake to combine.
- Pour into 4 glasses over ice, and garnish each with a sprig of fresh rosemary.