I have to admit that when it comes to fashion, I am a creature of habit. I find things I love, I buy multiples and then I wear them. For me, it makes getting dressed in the morning easy easier. Because I tend to…well, let’s just say I have a little issue with making decisions. Like a big issue, actually. Sometimes I just stand in my closet and stare. For a long time. If it weren’t for Dan walking by every now and then to ask me what exactly I’m doing, who knows how long it could go on for.
I don’t think I am alone in this, and it all goes back to simple psychology: too many options confuse the mind. Thus, many girls like clothes, tend to have a lot of them, and although this all sounds perfectly fine – what can possibly be so bad about having a lot of clothes? – I have personally discovered that the more clothes you have, the more annoying life becomes.
Long story short, after I have mentally masturbated long enough about this *extremely important* decision, I usually grab a pair of jeans, throw on a Theory tee, add some jewelry + great shoes, and call it a day.
Now I need to clarify that I am in no way saying a girl shouldn’t shop – what I’m saying is that having the right collection of basics in your wardrobe will not only make your life easier, but it will likely expand what you’re already working with. We all know that we will continue to buy things we shouldn’t, things that will complicate our closets but at the time we can’t seem to live without, because we are women and that’s what we do. But in order to ‘make it work’ (love you Tim Gunn) – we need to have the perfect arsenal of essentials at our fingertips.
And so, I have created what I deem to be the most necessarily fab basics that will make your life – and mornings – infinitely better.
- Skinny Jeans and/or ‘Jeggings’
- I love J Brand, Citizens if you have some junk in the trunk like I know I do, and I am in love with my Gwenevere’s from Seven that fit like a glove. I recently discovered this pair by Paige at shopbop: perfectly dark and perfect fit.
- Long Tanks
- Stretchy Theory tanks (and tees) = perfection. I have a million of them in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Splendid makes their version super soft and yummy…love it in this lemony yellow color I found at NET-A-PORTER.
- Perfectly Cut Tees
- Love this V-Neck Pocket Tee from the Gap. Honestly I probably have 10 of them in white, along with every other color they make. They are so perfectly thin and I like to size up and wear them loose. American Apparel is another good spot for these staples (I like the Unisex V).
- Boyfriend cut if you are going for trendy, but classic works here too – I have one by BCBG that I bought as part of a suit a couple of years ago, and it STILL looks fab today. I am in LOVE with this creamy ivory number by Elizabeth and James (get it at Neiman’s).
- Long Boyfriend Cardigan
- J. Crew and Banana make great sweaters that aren’t too expensive – I personally hate spending a lot on sweaters because they tend to pill, etc. How amazing is this gray one from Old Navy? Only $16.50!
- Forever 21, for obvious reasons. American Apparel also makes them in every color but I only wear black so…who cares.
- If possible everyone should really own 2 of these – one sexy, and one classic like a shift or a wrap. IN.LOVE.WITH.THIS.DRESS.FROM.HAUTE.HIPPIE. Get it at shopbop.
- Maxi Dress
- Such an easy and comfy thing to throw on – always a go-to when I am feeling lazy or extra indecisive. Lots of options, from solids to prints, expensive to not – I like them all from Alice + Olivia to Forever 21. Love this one I found at Bloomie’s by Rachel Pally, everything she makes feels like a cloud.
- Sweatpant Alternative
- Gone for me are the days of the matching Juicy sweatsuits I used to wear in college. Now I want to wear something casual that feels a little more put together, and these pants also by Rachel Pally are the perfect solution (also love foldovers like SoLow and Hardtail for an extra-casual approach). Get them at shopbop.
- Perfectly Crisp White Shirt
- So important, yet so hard to find a good one – I have a couple like this one from Theory (which finally has an online store!) that I love.
- Leather Jacket
- The one item on this list I do not personally own…not okay – I just haven’t been able to justify spending $$$ on something (like the Hanii Y below) I can only wear a few days out of the year living in Sunny South Florida. Still, it is SO gorg…I love the light, creamy gray – it’s a nice change from black. Found this one at Saks.
- Silky/Feminine Blouse
- I will admit I have a hard time finding these too – I lean toward buying dresses instead and it’s a habit I am constantly trying to break. Perhaps my problem is that the ones I like are out of my price range, like this unbelievable Stella McCartney. LOVE. Get it at NET-A-PORTER.
- Something high-waisted is perfect right now, love this one BCBG is doing, but you can absolutely find inexpensive versions at Urban, Forever, etc.
- Something Sequined (Dress, Jacket, or Top)
- I have an amazing black sequined cropped jacket that I snagged at H&M last time I was in New York ( I don’t like talking about H&M much because I am angry/depressed that we don’t have one anywhere remotely near here) – cheap and chic, LOVE. This Robert Rodriguez I found at Bergdorf’s is very similar (except for the price).
- Trench Coat
- The trench is always classic (not to mention ALL OVER the spring runways right now). The original is from Burberry, but this one from the Gap is absolutely perfect for the price.
So what do you think? Something I missed that you can’t live without? Let me know! Unless it’s an accessory…because that’s a whole ‘nother list, coming soon!